Spaineyland

[click collage to enlarge] These are at the Placa Espanya looking up the Palau National and back down to the twin towers at the plaza. And here are a couple of shots of people lighting off firecrackers. Rob said that while at the Mies van der Rohe pavilion one went into the bushes and all the guards ran over to make certain the whole place didn't go up in flames. Later when we were out in the Gothic Quarter, I watched a grandpa or yayo light a firecracker with his grandson that must have been loud enough to burst their eardrums. In Catalunya the grandparents are yayo and yaya which I think are the most delightful names ever; to see a toddler lift up his arms and squeal "Yaya!" is a heartmelter. I tried to get Madeline to call my parents yaya and yayo when she was little, but it didn't stick. Rob wants to be called Big Daddy by his grandchildren the way that African Americans do. There is no way my grandkids will call me Big Mama. I don't want them calling me big anything! But yaya is fine by me.

[click collage to enlarge] Since he was up there on Montjuic, Rob also decided to stop in at Poble Espanyol, another creation for the 1929 Exposition. It was the idea of Josep Puig i Cadafalch to have an open-air architectural museum with examples of all of the styles from around Spain to create an imaginary town. Rob eavesdropped on a flamenco concert and dubbed the place Spaineyland.

Comments

Kerri said…
This entry made me feel homesick in a weird way. It's that other life I lived so many years ago... maybe it was the yaya comments. I still can't believe we did that mission thing and look at us now.:) And I agree 100% Big Mama is not an option.

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Blue and Gold Cake Contest