Spanish Riding School

This morning we went to see the Lippizaners at morning practice. Mostly this was an event I was pushing through. I thought that we should take the family to see the famous horses perform after living there as much as we have. I'd seen a performance once by myself, but not even Rob had been to see them.
Our former student Sarah, is here for a while, and we dragged her with us, jetlagged as she is,  down  to the Hofburg palace to see it. I'd sent Rob down earlier to get tickets. It was mayhem for him, buying the tickets and saving the seats from rabid Italians, and mayhem for us, trying to cross town and get to the seats in half an hour with the three boys and the stroller. It happened. We made it.
The Lippizaners trotted around to their music, and soon  enough the kids had named the horses: Whiffle (pure white), Smoky and Buddelbär, who was their favorite. They lasted for about an hour and then we left. It was definitely as much as kids could handle, but I might try kids on the Reitschule museum next time or send Maddie and Rob to an actual performance, because that is truly amazing: all the horses dancing in  time to the music and braiding in and out of each other, walking backward and stepping sideways. Then they explain what the different moves are and the horses demonstrate the easiest first, without riders, then the harder moves, then the riders get back on and they do them again. It's definitely worth seeing if you happen to be in town.

Comments

Curtis said…
Well, as it just so happens, we'll be there in 39 days. I think I'll put the Lipizzaners on my to do list.
ohiolanges said…
Just checking in on my favorite world travelers! How long are you there? LOVE reading about your adventures!
-anne

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Gumdroppapalooza