Reykjavik: Laugavegur to the Harbor

OK, I found some more pictures to show. They're kind of random, but they're here!
Here it is, useful graffiti! I couldn't pass it up.
I was also told before we got here that rhubarb is one of the big native crops on iceland, so I laughed when I saw these planters outside a shi-shi boutique. It has been odd to fly up here and go back in time -- we're still in early, early spring here. The tulips aren't even out yet and the daffodils are in full bloom. So I'm proud of our little rhubarb patch at home. It would do just fine on the streets of Iceland.

Over in our section of town, many of the homes are covered in this corrugated metal siding, both on the walls and the roofs. They were originally wooden, but this probably insulates them and keeps them from wearing out so quickly. And it's very colorful.
This is a sculpture called Sólfar or Sun Voyager and is out in the harbor to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Reykjavik.

I call it Ship of Forks
And here is a picture of the new opera house.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Gumdroppapalooza