Palau de la Musica Catalana

Next Rob and I took a tour of the Palau. I'd seen pictures of it from my mission, but I had no idea where it was. It was down the street from us, and we could see a sliver of it from our window! It was built for an amateur choir, not unlike the MSingers, and I kept thinking what it would be like to have one's own hall like this. The tour was good for the footweary, with lots of sitting down in nice chairs. The building was absolutely stunning. The only mar on it for me was that you are not permitted to take photos of it inside. Forgive me, but that seems so passe in a day and age of camera phones, great photos without flash, and most especially the internet. So this is cobbled together of photos we could take outside, and bootlegged images from the website. If you have a moment, you should see the virtual tour there, which shows more of the incredible details in the hall.
On the way home, Rob stopped in and bought a Coca de San Juan, or a cake for St. John's day, which is June 24 (also happens to be my brother John's birthday, though my parents weren't trying to be Catholic about naming him). I'm still not certain why, but on San Juan eve, everyone lights off firecrackers and has bonfires. It is an extremely loud night. I remember on my mission having to shut the windows so we could sleep even though it was very hot. This time we were trying to keep it down so the kids could sleep. Our quirky apartment turned out to be perfect for the job: two of the kids were sleeping in hallways with no windows, and the big wooden doors on the balconies sealed out the sound nicely. That and a dose of Benadryl for all.Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Gumdroppapalooza