The Nadirs

We're now three days away from departure. I'm recording this to read when next we contemplate a study abroad, and to remind myself that I am never EVER going to rent or lend or permit anyone to live in my house while I'm gone again. It's like I'm trying to vacuum us into a corner and make a discreet exit with 6 people and hundreds of pounds of luggage.
Rob and I are not sleeping and we're working all day long. Yesterday in particular, Rob was a crazed demon: he gave up on sleeping at 5:00am, went running, read the Economist for a while, and fed the kids breakfast. After we got people off to school, we filled the truck with easily a thousand pounds of rocks and cement which he dumped by himself at his sister's/father's house where they are trying to fill a former root cellar (it will be an immense french drain after this). Then he picked up mulch and spent the rest of the day distributing it about the yard along with as much landscape renovation as one man can do with a rake, shovel and black plastic tarp. Then he mowed and was done by 6:30. After putting the kids to bed, I made him point from our bed while he decided what he should pack and I put it out. Then we retired downstairs and he packed three suitcases, weighing them each on a scale to appease the drones of Delta (would they be called Deltoids?). Finally, he selected the appropriate Lego pieces to take for his sons in order to build spaceships, which is what Legos are for. Then it was midnight and so he tried calling our people in Vienna to tie up some loose ends (like sending a van to take our screaming brood home from the airport with all of our carefully weighed crap). He didn't even take two union-approved 15 minute breaks.
I did a similar amount of stuff inside the house including, but not limited to clearing out two closets and a desk and cleaning the same, buying extra innertubes for the stroller and trying out/packing all of the acoutrements for it, doing laundry and dishes and packing up boxes and boxes of things that will be in the way of our renters.
It felt really good to get some suitcases packed yesterday, but each day at some point Rob has come in and said "Well, we're at our nadir." which panics me and I say "You said that yesterday!" and he tells me "I thought that yesterday was the nadir until I saw today."
Today nothing went right. I took Maddie out for an orthodontist appointment only to find out that her appliance was broken. Again. Every time we go in there it is loose and they have to cement it. This time it was sheared in half and they had to take new impressions and we have to go back tomorrow. I would be harder on her, but how is one supposed to be gentle and delicate with an object designed to torture your jaw? It's like having the Inquisition in your mouth.
All day people were calling or ringing the doorbell and I couldn't get anything done. Three times I was in the basement at the far end of the house trying to get kids to sort hooey and three times the doorbell rang. Beware that if you call or visit and you offer help, you're going to end up wiping down tubs and hauling boxes. Don't ask. Don't offer.
To bookend it all, I took the boys to the pediatrician where we waited an appallingly long time simply to have someone look into their ears. Will and Joss both have infections and we are now the proud owners of two amoxicillin prescriptions: two more things I didn't want to have to remember on the trip over. I will surely forget them somewhere or have Joss spit pink syrup all over me in an airport.
In the midst of it all, there have been a few bright spots. Rob and the kids made a tent in the backyard Sunday night where we played Apples to Apples in the rain and had FHE on Monday. Rob and I got a surprise lunch date on Tuesday when we decided to open the last bottle of Navarro.
And while we are talking about Navarro, there are two real restaurants in town -- we're so excited! We went to one a few weeks back, called Spark. It is totally non-alcoholic and among other beverages, they sell the Navarro gewurtztraminer and pinot noir that we love. Their service was good, ambience was hip, the clientele was dressed down a la dining in the Bay Area, and the food was surprising. I had sea bass with a pineapple salsa and lots of other adjectives I can't recall right now. Rob had sea scallops with a parmesan risotto and a granny smith and speck slaw that was also stellar. And we shared a dessert of chocolate pudding dipped in almond flour and flash fried, accompanied by orange and coriander ice cream. Portions were on the smaller, lighter side, which is also unique for this area.
For Rob's birthday we went shoe shopping and then I surprised him with Karen K's recommendation: Pizzeria Seven Twelve. I haven't confirmed it, but have heard that there is a Sundance chef and pastry chef behind it. It was busy even in the defunct Midtown complex, and had good decor and great art up by Brian Kershisnik (the artist who painted the breathtaking nativity which I hear is now up in Rob's building). We had a salad featuring our own Grandview Clifford Farms spinach and eggs (local! who would have thought it would reach us here!) and then shared a pizza with baby artichokes, red onions, pine nuts and a gremolata made up of garlic, parsley and candied Meyer lemons. It was fantastic. We were excited about all of it -- even the olive oil was good. We finished with rhubarb crumbles which the chef was worried about: Rob thought they were just right and not gooey or too sweet, but the chef's mother told him they were too tart. You can't please everyone! I was ready to go back the next night. I'd be ready to go back tonight, but I think I'm going to go to bed instead.

Comments

Julie Allen said…
Not that it will ease your burdens any, Mary Ann, but I've lived through similar hells--like when we were trying to move from Hawaii to Wisconsin in 2006. In the madness of trying to clear out of our (sold) condo, we were up til 5am the night before our flight and I accidentally mailed a box (Parcel Post, mind you) containing all of the important things I had set aside to made sure to take in my carry-on bag (diamond ring, passports, you name it). Have a great time in Vienna!
Zina said…
You're exactly where I was at when I told Dean we wouldn't sublet our apartment in Berkeley any more. But not renting out one's home is harder to do and be gone for a stretch. Let me know if you find a way (next time.)

I don't know whether I should or shouldn't be reading this. Dean wanted to do a sabbatical this fall and I finally said "No, not with a new baby," so now we're theoretically aiming for next fall . . . but what if I'm pregnant, or soon-to-be pregnant by then? It'd be easier if I didn't still want yet more babies. If we wait to travel 'til we're done having kids, by then our older kids won't want to miss out on this-or-that high school program or teacher. (I didn't mean to mention my continued quest to have a family larger than I can manage, but that's the crux of the dilemma.)

I always wish I could get myself to do the kinds of things one has to do before a big trip when I'm *not* planning a big trip, but I think the tasks are just too miserable to make myself do them until it's completely unavoidable. And then it's really, really miserable.

Good luck with all the gritty details and survival in general. At least you have something wonderful to look forward to once you get there.
Mary Ann said…
Ah, thanks Julie for the story about your package, which we both enjoyed, and Zina, for contemplating another child, which I am happy to say, I don't have to think about.
Today was much better. Rob packed more bags, Maddie got her torture device replaced, and we decided to move downstairs and clean up while we're not living in it. Works much better this way!
We've got three and a half bedrooms done and we're hoping to finish packing tomorrow. I am learning to let off steam as it builds by writing nasty e-mails to places that deserve them: first to Costco for shrinking their kitchen bags so that they always fall into the garbage cans now. Then to CrockPot for making silly handles which always break and fall off the lids. I'm finding it very constructive.
I think we'll mostly take a break and get out of the house on Saturday, though I am going to schedule another meltdown for about 5:00pm. Perhaps Thai food will stave it off . . .
Anonymous said…
I won't call, but Bon Voyage, Happy Mother's Day and we love you all.
Anonymous said…
I won't call, but Bon Voyage, Happy Mothers Day and we love you all.
Anonymous said…
Oh, my darlings! I wish I were there to sweep and wipe and pack and schlepp. What ever happened with the ceiling leak over the front door? Well, I'm sending all my good vibes your way.

Luff choo!
Mary Ann said…
Just an update: we had a lot of help the last two days. Betsy came and cleaned our floors and fridge (how they shine!) and Karen and Elizabeth fixed my electronics and spot cleaned the carpets. Liesl watched the children and Katie brought us a mouthwatering dinner. Today we reached the point of Jen's mantra 2007: "It is what it is" and decided to have a good last day. We had breakfast with family, went to the farmers' market, and celebrated Mother's Day at the Thai place. The children are bathing and Rob and I are determined to go to bed by ten. Serious Negritzky blessings, which concept we'll explain when next we have a moment.
Lois said…
Glad to see that we were some of the people ringing the doorbell and not letting you get any work done. Ha, ha, ha!

Hey, we went to Pizzeria 712 (or whatever it's called) the other day and I got a panini sandwich. Can I just say that it was DELICIOUS!!! And this is from someone who thought all of her tastebuds had died off since I haven't eaten anything tasty in YEARS!

I don't know if I'll go to Spark. Seems a little too hip for me.

Looking forward to your posts from abroad! My kids miss your kids already.

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Blue and Gold Cake Contest