Wicked Good Weekend

Grandma and Grandpa Shumway surprised Maddie and I with Wicked tickets in San Francisco, and flights out there for Presidents' Day weekend. Joss, by virtue of his age and size, got to come along too. We flew out on Friday the 13th, and it wasn't until we were in the car that I realized I'd never really traveled alone with kids before. But the combination of Maddie and Joss was good, and we had no trouble, and got to the theatre in plenty of time to buy souvenirs and get settled before the show.
I'd tried to read the book before going, but the further I read, the more awful I thought the show would be. I gave up halfway through, and I think the unsung hero is the woman who adapted the book for stage (a true genius). They used the concept and characters' names, and that was about it.
Maddie and I enjoyed it thoroughly right up to the applause, where the girl standing in front of me jumped up out of her seat. And not for the lead, either -- she was giving a standing ovation to, ahem, the flying monkeys. Karen K. and I had just been discussing this earlier in the week when we attended the on campus symphony. We were the only people seated in the hall, and were lamenting the fact that BYU audiences seem to think that every performance is worthy of a standing ovation. I wonder if these are the same people who have been raised on weekly chastity lectures? Didn't they learn that if you give it up every time, it doesn't mean anything?!
But it was a lovely show, and have had a good time reading over the program and sharing the music with the boys since getting home.

Comments

J said…
Love the chastity analogy.
NOBODY said…
you are hilarious!

I love this show. LOVE it.

And my 20 month old cries if we aren't playing it in the car. His particularly enjoys "Popular" (who doesn't) and "Dancing Through Life"

What a great little getaway too!

I had a professor in college that told us one ovation a year is all you should ever give. I fight hard not to be a follower, because I seem to run with a crowd of easy ovaters. But I stick to my guns, and only give one once a year. It makes it more meaningful.

Trying hard not to make joke about once a year and three kids...
NOBODY said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Blue and Gold Cake Contest