Ode to Louise

One of the writing exercises that Louise Plummer suggests, is making lists. Since most of my writing involves lists anyway, this is fairly painless for me. And since cleaning out the car yesterday, I was determined that some good ought to come out of my scooping up diaper wipes full of childhood's detritus from the seat wells. So here it is, a list of What I Found in My Minivan, January 8, 2009:
Four library books: Dorothy Dunnett vols 1 & 4, What Presidents Are Made Of and Women in American History
One grass skirt
three lava lavas
one conch shell
one coconut hat
shell necklace
Trader Joe's hawaiian bag
an inflatable swim ring, large neon yellow
an inflatable swim ring, small purple/multi stripes
three green plastic frogs
one dark green plastic car
two cards
county tax assessment of our home
two size three huggies diapers
package kirkland diaper wipes
booster seat
baby carrier and base
baby car activity center
tennis ball
water bottle from UTA
lime green Lego car
purple carabiner keychain with dolphin can opener
Eucerin plus soothing essentials, sample size
purple Flylady "I'm So Proud Of You" pen (yes, wouldn't she be)
one orange piece of Lego Bionicle
green pencil from IKEA smallland for Sebi
ripped up gift box
three quarters and a dime
a fabulous red stroller
Phew! NOW the car is ready to take to the carwash. They say that I'm going to look back on this all with great fondness, right?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I don't think we're supposed to look back on all this with fondness -- I think we're supposed to forget this part of it and just remember all the cuteness and snuggles.

(I don't think I will forget; I really HOPE I won't forget. But I do think I will look back on the fun stuff with nostalgia.)

Oh, and congratulations on your clean car!
Jennette said…
Oh, my! I'm impressed with your list because I'm pretty sure that mine would be something like: 40 tootsie roll wrappers, 400 used kleenexes, 3 cups of cheerio crumbs, a couple of dried out apple cores, and various other disgusting items.

ps. I was taking a friends kids with me yesterday and the 5yr old announced, "wow, your car is really dirty."
Anonymous said…
Dad would be so proud! (along with FlyLady)
Janet Kincaid said…
I don't even have kids but the other day I extracted the following from my car:

18 water/soda bottles/cans
53 gas receipts
6 Lands' End catalogs
1 months worth of dry cleaning
1 missing field coat
1 pair of running shoes
1 20 lb bag of mulch
1 set of industrial strength jumper cables
3 bags of stuff destined for Goodwill
1 ceramic dog bowl in the shape of a toilet
15 reusable shopping bags
2 Nalgen bottles
1 notepad
5 pens
1 empty coin purse
7 brochures from various national parks
1 broken adapter for my iPod
1 cell phone recharger
3 packets of gum
4 seashells
1 Yankee candle scenty-smelly thingy
Half a bag of dried fall foliage

Hm. My car is shameful.
Mary Ann said…
Please to note: my car isn't clean. It isn't anywhere close to clean. That is just the prelude that it takes in order to go to the car wash to use the gift certificate so that we can HAVE a clean car. It also means we're no longer a rolling luau, which was getting difficult to explain. Jennette, that reminds me of the time a little kid was appalled that there was a bath toy in our toy box. As Rob's cousin would say "If it bugs you so much, go rock in a corner." Janet, I want the story on that dog bowl . . .
jenlinmin said…
Fantastic! All the comments too. I am literally laughing harder than I have for a long time. I, too, am a fan of Louise Plummer and I should probably do something similar, for posterity's sake, although I don't think anybody would ever confuse me with somebody who has her act together! Jennette, I've had the same thing happen to me. More than once! Okay, more than twice.
Louise Plummer said…
Mary Ann, an ode! No one has ever written an ode for me. I am overwhelmed. I love your list and I especially love that it spawned another list. Your blog looks terrific and the name is perfect. Together at last!

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Gumdroppapalooza