Trying On Black

It has been a little while since I've been able to post, but I did want to report that I attended my first ever doorbusters on the day after Thanksgiving (I went out of altruism for the economy -- gotta do my part, you know?). Rob's sisters took me, and they are seasoned black Friday professionals. They read the circulars and circle what they want. They plan a route from store to store based on sale items, opening times and proximity. Then they split up. One goes for the circled items, and the other stands immediately in line. They are masterful.
I was just going to see the sights, and I think I ended up spending more than either of them. We went to the Waldemort first. I knew I was way out of my depth when I saw that the parking lot was entirely full and there was not a cart to be had. But unlike other Waldemorts, everyone at ours was pretty jolly and we had no problems there. Of course the first thing I found on my list was huge and bulky, and I had no cart. I hoisted it through the store to the back, where the crush was intense enough that people had ditched the carts. Then I had what I wanted, and a cart, but no way to move to the front! I finally contacted both sisters-in-law on the cell phone and after lifting my cart over a skinny spot, I made it to checkout.
Toys-R-Us was not so fun. The line stretched through the entire store, moved like molasses, and the prices were deliberately misleading. I'd never try that again. People were understandably grumpy. And finally we went to the Sears, which by 7:00am was busy but mellow. If you're going to buy appliances for Christmas, you are evidently a minority.
I had a good time, we packed B's car to the headliner, and we were back before the baby woke up. I thought it was a success! (but I did go to bed at 8:00 that night!)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Very impressive.

I haven't even used any of my coupons at JoAnn's or Robert's this season, nor taken advantage of the late-night shopping hours at the mall. Maybe next year.

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Gumdroppapalooza