(From Rob) Maddie and Will's Graduation

After two weeks of intense classes, Maddie and Will officially graduated from the Kinder-Uni Wien. The whole purpose of the program is to acquaint children with the institutions of the University and with the processes of scientific and historical inquiry. They especially target kids who would not otherwise have any contact with the academic world. I had no idea how seriously they took this mission until the "Sponsion," the graduation ceremony that beat out many of my own (way too many) graduations. It was planned to shock and awe the kids and their families.
The ceremonies took place in the University's most prestigious and beautiful room, the Grosser Festsaal. For years my students and I have read about the frescos on the ceiling of this room, painted by Gustav Klimt. Today, I finally got to see them first hand. I will not bore you with art history mumbo-jumbo, but this was one of those moments that had me shaking in my shoes. I love my job.
The hall was packed with super-proud parents and grandparents, some of whom did not speak any German and were thrilled to see their (grand-) kids fulfilling their hopes and dreams (I sat by a tearful father from Lebanon). The University did not let these people down. The kids marched in to the sounds of a brass ensemble playing themes from Bach's Brandenburg Concertos. Then we all stood as the vice-rectors of three Vienna Universities came in wearing ermine collars, led in by a herald with an ornate golden staff. Evidently this is the traditional oath staff of Vienna, which was held up for Freud, Schubert, Mach. Doppler, and many others at their graduations.
The three gave nice, short kid-oriented speeches, and then declared the kids as having earned their "Magistra Universitatis Iuvenis" degree (Master of Children's University). We all stood for the Austrian National Anthem and the European Anthem (Beethoven/ Schiller's "Ode to Joy) and then everybody paraded out to treats in the Arcadian Courtyard. Maddie and Will were excited about their certificates, but even more excited about their free popsicles.
I know these mini-graduations are only hyperbolic self-esteem fests, but I got all choked up watching Maddie Lou and Will march solemnly down the aisle. Besides, this might be their only graduation. They may be in prison, on the back of a Harley or making tattoos by this time in a decade.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Blue and Gold Cake Contest