Fairy or Ferry?

I asked Sebastian what he wanted to do on Tuesday and he told me he wanted to ride a boat. I asked Grandma how to get to the Ferry, but since we had previously talked about Fairyland, she gave me the directions for that (all the way to the end of Grand Ave.). I asked if it wasn't actually at the end of Broadway? and even then we didn't realize we were on different pages.
So we set out and went to the end of Grand Ave. We ended up in the middle of Shipping Kingdom -- the only car around in a river of huge trucks.

Somehow we did make it to the ferry, and we made it on. We took it over to the Ferry Building. A woman sitting by us said that she saw two giant jellyfish, but I'm thinking that she saw some aquatic plants and was a few stewed prunes short of a senior plate. We got to San Francisco and disembarked. We wandered through the farmers' market and bought some almonds for Grandma in spite of her getting us lost. We sat out in the sun and ate some snacks that I'd brought along (in case I got hungry going to a building full of food . . . ). We walked through the building and looked at the meats and cheeses and sampled the olive oil. Then we ran into an old friend, Francesca and her husband, who were out on a date at the gelato place. Odd to run into them there, but even more coincidental was seeing Kirsten and her boys when we walked off the ferry on the Oakland side. We caught up to the sounds of Joss squawking (did I mention that we brought him with us? Imagine all of this with a lot of baby paraphernalia and intermittent squeals. actually he slept until the gelato). Then we went to the Ben & Jerry's for ice cream because we'd successfully n avigated our adventure. It didn't feel as victorious as I'd hoped with Joss at a near-combustible pitch by then. But we made it home and nobody blew up. Grandma and I even attended book group at night (so did Joss, but he didn't have anything to add about Twilight and I steered him away from the panna cotta; does that really count?)
This morning grandpa took us to the park in the middle of the docks and we watched a couple of the great huge white cranes load and unload shipping containers onto trucks and ships. I don't think I'd ever been there before yesterday.
And this afternoon Sebi decided the adventure would be shopping. We made it to BabysRUs for a couple of items for Joss, then to Marina Square where we got summer PJs for Sebi and Joss raised a ruckus. I personally think it was his shame and embarrassment over spitting up all down my back. He was happy once we got out of the public eye.

Comments

Lois said…
In my (decidedly much less beautiful) part of California, we would often think the plastic bags in the water were jellyfish.

"Look mom, that jellyfish is named Ralph! And this one's Von!"

I think Joss should've screamed through book club. I certainly did while reading that horrible book "Twilight," but my screams were more along the lines of "Just die, Bella! Just die already! Somebody eat her!"
Anonymous said…
I think Rob's trip sounds more fun than yours.

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Gumdroppapalooza