What's In The Name

First off, I am required by my executive board to explain exactly what it is when I say that Rob hates babies. He doesn't really. He's extremely good with them and after ample experience, he can stave them off and keep them quiet and reasonably happy for hours at a time (better than I could if I couldn't nurse them, which is an unfair advantage). He just finds the newborn stage not so much fun. He thinks they're much more interesting when they can interact with other people. He wishes they'd be born at about four months old. I remind him that my babies are closer to four-month-olds than just about anyone's. And if we're shooting for honesty here, I loathe the age from about 18 months to 3 or so when my prime job is to socialize the kid. I think that all children should come with the Germ Theory of Disease in their bundled-from-Microsoft software; it creeps me out the way they want to caress toilets and lick garbage cans and the like.
As for the name, we chose Josiah as a less common biblical name. He's in Deuteronomy I think, and he doesn't do anything spectactular (like Rob's cousin Heather says, it's good to keep the expectations low with bible names; I'm fond of Lazarus myself), but he doesn't do anything hideous either, which does set him apart somewhat in the Old Testament. Oscar is Rob's grandfather's name, and Rob didn't quite have the nerve to use it as a first name (though it is on the More Popular Than You Think list in our favorite baby book). And Joss is what Rob thought would be fun to use as a nickname; yes, we do know about the singer, and the creator of Firefly.
It is all moot though, because everyone has chosen their own nicknames. We have Jojo, Jed, J-dawg, J-bird, and now Rob has started calling him Fluffy. I don't know why I even consult him when picking out names! The other kids all had them too, and it took some time to grow out of them. They were Piglet, Chumpy-wumpy, and Spewbert, respectively.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Lois said…
Thanks for the background on the names. He's so cute!
Anonymous said…
Ah, he looks like such a sweet little angel in his white cloud. I miss him.
Heather said…
I just can't stand how gorgeous he is. Can I please just have a tiny nibble of his cheek...
Nick said…
Actually, Josiah was one of the last kings of the Jews, and one of the better ones, until the Egyptians killed him in battle.
Anonymous said…
Oh Rob, I'm sure you love them...:) Andrew is the same way. He thinks all newborns look the same and they are not very fun until they are older. Love you! can wait to see you at the family reunion! <3 Audrey

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Blue and Gold Cake Contest