The Difference Between a First Child

and any others who come after is significant. Rob and I were talking about it last night as we left on our dinner date, which had just been crashed by Joss since he was in a foul mood. (We decided we'd rather take him with us and be serene than leave him at home and feel like we needed to rush back and relieve everyone.)

We were just remarking that when Maddie had screamed, we were certain that we had done something wrong (buckled her incorrectly in the car seat, put her clothes on backwards, given her a mild case of SIDS, etc.). Because of that, we took every scream as an advertisement of our bad parenting -- a complaint against us personally. By this child, we don't take anything he does personally.

A quote that my brother John sent me explains the difference perfectly, although this is talking about the meaning of East coast vs. West coast honking from Cory Doctorow's "Eastern Standard Tribe":
"This business of being an agent-provocateur was complicated in the extreme, though it had sounded like a good idea when he was living in San Francisco and hating every inch of the city from the alleged pizza to the ****ing! drivers!--in New York, the theory went, drivers used their horns by way of shouting "Ole!" as in "Ole! You changed lanes!" "Ole! You cut me off!" "Ole! You're driving on the sidewalk!"while in San Francisco, a honking horn meant, "I wish you were dead. Have a nice day. Dude."

So when Joss was born, Rob explained to the kids that his crying meant "Ole!" as in "Ole! Watch me pedal my feet!" "Ole! There's something in my diaper!" "Ole! I think that was my hand flying by!" and that they shouldn't worry about it. The way that we used to when Maddie would do it and we thought she meant "You two deadbeats are so completely incompetent that I might explode under the weight of my unmet needs."

Sometimes ignorance isn't so blissful.

Comments

ohiolanges said…
Smart parents.
Although I am more impressed that you were going on a dinner date - one week after giving birth.

anne
liesl said…
surely these later children will be better equipped to deal with the vagaries of life since we let them manage their own displeasure from a young age. right????
Zina said…
You know, although I never defined it that way, I think I was blessed to understand the Ole approach to parenting from the get-go -- my younger sibs remember me as being a fairly laid-back babysitter because I didn't take things too personally, whereas my next-younger sister felt she was supposed to make everyone behave or she'd have failed at her job, and she was consequently a lot more anxious and not so fun to have supervising you. It's kind of odd to me that this one came somewhat instinctively for me, since in lots of other areas I'm the queen of taking way too much responsibility for anything and everything -- but I don't think I do it much with newborns (even when it was my first baby.) (It's also possible that I've forgotten what it was really like, though.)

I'm glad you got to have a dinner date. And Joss is way cute even crying.
jenlinmin said…
What a beautiful baby! Congratulations! And Maddie remains princess. I had no sisters and 4 younger brothers, so give her my # if she ever needs someone to commiserate with her. I also love the "Ole" thoughts. Maybe if I'd read those sage words I would have had more than 2 kids... Maybe not. Anyway,I needed that laugh today so thank you for that! May you sleep well soon!
Nigel said…
Ole'! Congrats and I'm glad it went smoothly. We love you guys. Rob, when you bless the baby, be sure to wear a turban and a false mustache.
Lois said…
Hear, hear. So true. Well said.
Jennette said…
Excellent! I can't wait to share the ole' explanation with Adam. Wish we could hold that J-bean (there, we came up with a new nickname for you)! Congrats.

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Blue and Gold Cake Contest