Whirlybirds at Alameda

From the Lawrence Hall of Science, we drove straight down to Alameda beach on Shoreline. This is another specialty beach at the bay. It is flat and warm, and great for taking kids to. I had looked up the weather and the tide, so we were there on the warmest day of our week at low tide. The kids could run several blocks out and still not get up to their knees, which makes the water unusually warm for northern California.
When we were down in San Diego last fall, I saw most kids on the beach at Coronado wearing wet suits, and it had just never occurred to me before, because we'd grown up jumping around in water with ice crystals in it. Coronado's surf seemed pretty balmy in comparison.
Rob, good father that he is, swung all the kids around multiple times in the water, tossing them into the sand at the end. For some unknown reason, I didn't bring my bathing suit (inherent distrust of sunny weather in SF, I guess), so I ended up wearing Rob's t-shirt and his shorts, which I couldn't zip up. I was a walking fashion malfunction, with the shorts falling down whenever I got up, so mostly I sat on the beach while everyone ran and splashed.
We stayed for about three hours, with the tide at its low ebb just before we left. Grandpa took us out to Indian food for dinner, and after just a little chicken korma and rice, Sebastian fell asleep on me. We've really been running him out of steam with no nap. But when he woke up as Rob was carrying him back to the car, he said "What about dinner!?" so we had to feed him some more when we got back to the house.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Gumdroppapalooza