Waffles, a Quilt, Thai, the Model A, Mentos and Coke, and Telegraph Ave.

This is the quilt that Maddie made at her Camp Sew Fun last summer. We managed to finish the top with the borders, and we'd bought the batting and backing, but we ran out of steam there. So we brought it with us, and Maddie and Grandma got it all ready, tied it, trimmed it, and then Grandma taught Maddie how to do a blind stitch to bind it. They watched Enchanted and Pride and Prejudice while they worked. Grandma told me that Maddie kept up with Jane Austen really well, probably because she's familiar with the bollywood version. We're so proud of them for finishing and it's a beautiful quilt that Maddie was involved with at every step.
Friday night after a waffle dinner and a Mentos and Coke experiment when Grandpa got back from teaching his international engineering students at Cal, he took the kids out in the Model A. I didn't know it until this trip, but this car was green and white when he bought it, which was before he'd even left for college. It was a major mode of transportation during my parents' early marriage, and my mom drove it to student teaching (which teaches one how to double clutch, among other things; she said it was good and heavy in the snow). I think they just drove around Piedmont, because Sebastian said "we saw some weally funky houses" which is a great truth if you are growing up in a subdivision full of taupe stucco.
Rob and I took Sebastian out to Berkeley with us for lunch and wandering. Here they are at Sather Gate, which is thriving and full of student associations and activism as usual. Telegraph Ave. though, was cleaner and quieter than in recent years. This may be due to Cody's Books closing, which had been an institution for decades (they cited too many loiterers as part of the reason), or it may have been because of Code Pink protests outside the marine recruiting office which received a national backlash, cut Berkeley's federal funding, and brought in bikers who stood between the two parties, threatening to beat up the protesters. I think it's important to note that they were bikers, because no one else could have found parking in Berkeley.
Anyway, it was pretty quiet, and we could only find one lone, grizzled old man who was selling political bumper stickers to take back to the square states. We also got some crate labels for decorating later. My mom was dubious about our taking the four year old to Telegraph, but I told her "we don't have this stuff in Provo -- where else is he going to see the homeless and drugs and people with mohawks and a dozen pierces?". We told him that when he grows up, he can come here for school and play the drums during breaks. Sebastian was down with that. We also took him to Cha'am, our favorite Thai restaurant for lunch. Here he is chowing down on their soup. Then he polished off an order of Satay ("lollipop chicken" if you're marketing to the preschool crowd). When he got into the car, he said "Are we going to Blue Haiwed Betty's?" and even though I offered some other places for dessert, Sebi was not going to be swayed. This is probably because he went with Rob to get some of their amazing scones early the other morning, and while waiting in line, they gave him a free brownie. Who wouldn't show loyalty for a brownie at breakfast? We gave in and he had a strawberry shortcake from Betty for dessert. If you are ever in the neighborhood, you should stop and eat there. It is not cheap, and there isn't a huge selection, but they don't make a single mediocre thing. Betty used to work at Chez Panisse, and has now opened her own bakery at the corner of Telegraph and 51st. There's no sign, and don't worry if there's a line out the door -- it moves fast and you often get freebies while you wait.

Sebastian told us that "Califoinia owanges awe good" but that "Califoinia macawoni and cheese is gwoss!" (probably just overcooked at the restaurant where he ate it).

This trip has solidified the impression that our kids are phenomenal eaters. Last night they were arguing over the last of the salad. How am I supposed to deal with that?!

Comments

Zina said…
Wow, you added another post while I was reading -- I can't think of another time that's happened to me while reading someone's blog. It sounds like you all had a great vacation. Congrats to Maddie for finishing her pretty quilt.

Woops, I'd better go get ready for church; we're well on our way to being late today if I don't hustle.
Anonymous said…
All great blog stuff--and done before you even get home!! That's got to be a record.
Heather said…
I love reading your blog! Thank you for being so smart and funny and insightful. A triple threat! Your trip made ME nostaglic for my childhood in California, albeit southern. What a great adventure.
ashley said…
I am so sad we weren't there to spend time with you. We'll be in Utah in July so I hope we can get together then. As far as Monterey Market and Berkeley Bowl go I went to both but I am happy to say that I found a little market here in Oregon that is very much like MM complete with meat counter. I love getting meat wrapped in white butcher paper! :)
Jennette said…
You're kiiiiilllling me with this post! Seriously, Cha'am, Telegraph, and brownies from a former chef at Chez Panisse?? Could you at least tell us that the traffic was horrible, that the fog rolled in early and so it was bitterly cold and that the thai food was too salty next time.

And a big congrats to Maddie on that quilt. Well done!
Jennette said…
Clarification: I meant to say, you're killing me with all of these California vacation posts!!

Of course, I love it all. So thanks for the good armchair traveling. Glad to see that you guys are having such a wonderful time.
ashley said…
Jennette, I'm with you. In heaven I want to recreate Gourmet Ghetto and live there forever... :)
Mary Ann said…
Oh I know what you mean. I have to bite down on a leather strap to keep from screaming when I read Jenny's Miner Minutiae.
Or about a certain someone's kitchen remodel! :)
Kathryn said…
Happy Birthday! Thanks for a great trip to my childhood. So glad you posted all the details and pictures. Sounds like a wonderful vacation!
Rebecca said…
MA, these posts about Berkeley are a little too hard to take. I'm sitting here all misty-eyed, wishing I could take my girls there. If only Telegraph Avenue and Monterey Market (although I'm a Berkeley Bowl-ite) were a mere car drive away. Sniff Sniff.
jenlinmin said…
I miss Berkeley! I only live a bridge away, but just don't get there enough and I'm embarrassed to say we haven't taken the girls on a trail of tears there! Why not? Okay, as soon as soccer season is over and we have a free Saturday we're going to Berkeley! And Jennette, just for you, I'll throw in something about fog if it happens to be a gorgeous day ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Blue and Gold Cake Contest