San Francisco on a Tuesday

On Tuesday all seven of us went to San Francisco. As with so many of our outings back in California, this one revolved around food. We saw the Ferry Building on farmers' market day. We bought Acme bread and Cowgirl Creamery cheese and some amazing orange honey almonds and walked up and down. Grandpa took the kids out to the back and they fed the pigeons. I'm still sorry I didn't try the candycap mushroom cheesecake at the vegetarian stand, but I was still trying to be good on the no-sugar diet at that point.
We went back down the embarcadero to Red's Java House for lunch. My dad used to take me here when I would meet him in the city while I was working here. It has an eclectic clientele -- everyone from men in shipping and loading at the docks to executives pulling up in their BMWs and Mercedes. You get cheeseburgers and fries here, and a few other options, but you come because it's a dive. The kids loved it. My mom had never been before, so we were spreading some culture both ways.
We had gorgeous weather while out there. And we still can't get over what a great place the embarcadero is, because the freeway here was just such an eyesore. It all looks so good now.
We piled back into the van and drove out to the end of Guerrero to have ice cream at Mitchell's, which we've always meant to take Grandpa to, and had never made it before. He got the best flavor of the day, which was four tropical (banana, pineapple, mango and ?). I tried a Peruvian fruit flavor which was a little like pumpkin. Rob had his standard: mocha almond fudge (divine) and avocado (really good if you're adventurous). Mitchell's is great.
Then Maddie and the grandparents went home, and Rob and I took the boys on a cable car (Sebi was scared and made me act as his seat belt). Then we ran around the Embarcadero center and Justin Hermann plaza (above).
Then we rounded it out by taking BART home. I had to stand on BART, and we noted that it wouldn't have happened in Berlin or Vienna -- there are advantages to the overwhelming superego, says Rob. One is that pregnant women and people with babies get seats on busses and trains.

Comments

Zina said…
Nobody gave you a seat on Bart? That actually shocks me -- I guess I've ridden public transportation more in Europe than the states, and I agree that that wouldn't happen in Europe.

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Blue and Gold Cake Contest