Garden of Eden

So this is J & C's closest grocery store. They get a VIP 15% discount for being locals. I wish that I could have had R on the trip for so many reasons, but this store is chief among them. He would have been in ecstasies over the produce and deli and bakery, and would have been on the floor by the time he'd seen the olive bar. Aesthetically it is a beautiful place, but it isn't just that. It's also the amazing variety they have of everything! There are lady apples and artichokes and oodles of berries in the produce department, and a wall of jams, jellies, preserves and a dozen or so different kinds of honey.

This is the root cellar, which is its own little room. We laughed about it, because these are the only vegetables my other brother eats -- the roots and tubers, or 'humble vegetables' as he likes to call them. He'd never have to venture out into the larger produce area.
The cheese and deli counter was astounding, as was the meat counter -- large pieces of cow and pig are stowed in refrigerators behind them. And that was another thing -- it is all staffed with people to slice and dice and direct you so that you'll know that pork shoulder is also known as port butt.
I don't know what it is, but if I could have a store like this in walking distance here at home, I think I could be truly happy living in Utah. Hmmm. Go figure.



Comments

Zina said…
Sigh. I guess I should focus on the stench of the Subway instead of on my envy of people who live in cities civilized enough to have grocery stores like that one.
Lois said…
Oh my goodness! Do stores like that really exist? Beautiful! I might actually start to enjoy eating if I could shop in a place like that.

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Gumdroppapalooza