Gingerbread House 2007

Here is this year's vintage of gingerbread house. We did one at my house every year growing up with this recipe and this pattern. I've given myself years off when we used a kit, but I managed to bake the real stuff this time around. We did the decorating for FHE, not least because Rob is a patient artist with the frosting. I hate royal icing because of the taste of it from childhood and the impossible consistency of it from adulthood. Rob and I agreed that it would probably hold one of our 15 lb bathroom tiles in place unless it got wet.
I like this year's version a lot. Maddie make the buttermint chimney almost all by herself. Will made the pretzel and lifesaver fence with Rob, and Sebastian was responsible for the mint chips on the ice cream cone trees. I did the roof with red and green gummy shingles which looked successful, but there are now three missing. Important part of a child's Christmas to filch candy off the gingerbread house, don't you think? We always waited until New Year's to eat it at my house, but I wonder if we should do it sooner here where everything dries out? I'm also curious about trying some different patterns of house, but I don't know where to find them. Any ideas?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I agree. This is a vintage gingerbread house. I especially like the round base with the round fence. Sebi did a great job on the trees. And the chimney is a masterpiece.
Lois said…
We did "graham cracker houses" last year and one of my kids turned his into a motorhome. This year, he made the train from "Polar Express," complete with children falling through the ice into the water and being eaten by piranhas. Nothing says Christmas like death and mayhem!

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Blue and Gold Cake Contest