Rob in Italy

So after San Diego, Rob traveled to Pordenone, Italy (about 45 minutes north of Venice) for a silent film festival which sounds better as the Festival of Cinema Muto. It's held annually, and if you want to know why silent films need a film festival, I can't help you. Rob says its to reintroduce films which have been newly digitized or re-released. They had two theatres going 18 hours a day with live music for every show. He said it was also an odd and eclectic crowd: many people who talked loudly on their cell phones throughout movies (thinking, I guess that they weren't interfering with the dialogue?). He saw some great movies and some weird ones (particularly the Weimar-era movies that he came to see) and bought a few.
Rob was there with two of his friends, I mean colleagues, from BYU, who do film in the French and Scandinavian departments. As a favor to an Italian colleague, they took a day trip to see this rotunda by Palladio from the 16th century. Rob now has a thing for Palladio.
As a favor to no one but themselves, they took a trip up to hike in the Dolomites. Here are Darryl, Ann, and Chip taking a break from the rigors of watching films.
And to round it out, they rode down to Venice and took pictures and bought gifts for their poor left-behind wives. Maddie and I got scarves and I got a lot of glass jewelry that looks good enough to lick. Rob opted not to take a gondola ride, since last time he did that the gondolier talked him into singing a solo for a discount and then rowed him past a cafe packed full of people.
Every time I talked to Rob he told me what he'd been eating. "I had a grilled eggplant pizza!" "I had creme brulee gelato!" "I had prosciutto and cantalope!" Well, back here we had Grandpa's 7-lb ham boiled in Coke. Top that, Italia!

Comments

Lois said…
Oh,you world travelers. I'm so jealous! Hey, Nigel took the bus to the next town the other day. That's the extent of our travels.
ashley said…
The picture of the vegetable market is enough for me to want a ticket to Italy...gorgeous!

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Gumdroppapalooza