Technological Museum

On Saturday all seven of us went to the Technological Museum. There are about five buildings currently, and we still haven't seen them all, even after three visits! We started here in the train section, housed in a bonafide roundhouse where Sebastian reprised his role as dewrs-anoddoh-twain!-man. This picture is of Will and Maddie who were trying to push-pull a cart to understand child labor in a mine.
Here Maddie tries to figure out the sails and rigging on a model sailboat. I personally like the beanbags next to it where you can sit and figure out how to tie several knots.
Sebastian tries out life on a barge. When we had had enough trains, the girls went over to the jewelry making display which was really fun. It showed several different kinds of jewelry, like stamping, rolling, tubes, and even a step-by-step Faberge egg. We also checked out the textile displays on silk flowers, hats, and cotton and wool felting.
One of the Berlin Airlift planes hangs off the corner of the museum. They had a comprehensive display on the Tempelhof airport, the airlift, and the candy bombers (aka Operation Little Vittles, Rosinenpflieger, Uncle Wiggle Wings etc.). I am really thrilled that the man who was the first candy bomber was a Mormon. Gail S. Halvorsen came up with the idea and I'll just put in two quotes here from him as he explains how it began for him, and how it was received:

"I got involved with children in Berlin that led to 23 tons of candy being dropped not just by myself, but by all the members of my squadron. I began the operation because the children I met in Berlin didn't beg for gum or chocolate. When I met them they said "we don't have to have enough to eat. Just give us a little." "Some day we'll have enough to eat. But if we lose our freedom, we'll never get it back." They had no gum and no candy and very thin rations, but not one of these 30 children would be a beggar for something so extravagant as chocolate or gum."

"There was an extraordinary response to the candy bombing in raising morale. A little boy, who I met now as a 60-year-old man this summer in Berlin, explained it. He said he was 10 years old during the blockade, going to school. The clouds were low, and suddenly from the cloud came a parachute and landed at his feet with a fresh Hershey bar from America. He said he was so surprised. But it was not the chocolate that was important. It meant that someone outside this blockaded city knew I was there. It wasn't chocolate. It was hope. He said that applied to everyone in the city. I heard that comment from hundreds in Berlin, as they came through the old C-54 this summer. It was a major morale booster. It was a connection to the outside world. It was hope that someday things would be all right."

Wikipedia notes: "The action may have had a substantial impact on the postwar perception of Americans in Germany, and it is still pointed to as a symbol of German-American relations."

I am so impressed that Halvorsen made great things come to pass with some candy and handkerchiefs. I'd like to find more Mormons who can influence international relations for good by exercising charity. In the meantime, Rob's sister Betsy has actually written and performed a play about the candy bomber with her sixth grade class, and invited Halvorsen (who lives now in Mapleton) to come and see it.


We had lunch in the restaurant which was a delightful surprise. It was one of the first traditional Berlin restaurants we've seen -- Vienna still has them, but Berlin's are almost extinct now, taken over by ethnic restaurants of every kind (albeit great restaurants, just not typical German food). The food was generous and inexpensive and we made good use of it. Sebastian filled up his hollow leg. We sampled apple streudel and rote grutze for dessert, the latter being a warm, thickened bunch of red berries, served with vanilla sauce.

As we went home, we overheard the two older kids playing royalty in the taxi:

Maddie: What shall we talk about now?

Will: Pig lips and belly buttons!

Maddie: We are not amused.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I just came into my office to do some grading and instead spent an hour catching up on all the McFarland clan's adventures (much more enjoyable). I'm so homesick for all of you (and for Europe) I could SPIT! The Technological Museum goes on our list of things to do when we are next in Berlin. Liam would have been in heaven.
Darlene said…
MA,

Do you mind if I link to your blog from mine?
Mary Ann said…
No! I was thrilled to see that I made the cut. I keep intending to comment (on voting, last time) and never get to it. I'll work at it a little faster next time.
Darlene said…
Bummer, because I need some fellow non-Republicans to show up once in a while! Save me from these in-laws!

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Gumdroppapalooza