Note to Self: things I take over with me


In the last few days, we've looked at a lot of pictures of Berlin and Vienna as a family. While it's closer to the top of my mind, I wanted to write down the things that I usually buy here and take over with us for Study Abroad. I'm being a little more generous at present because of the weak dollar, but here is what I have taken, and a few things I have wished that I'd brought.


1. school supplies. paper, notebooks, pencils, backpacks and even binders.

2. top drawer desk supplies: tape, pens, scissors, post-it and shopping list pads, glue sticks and very basic art supply kinds of things (crayons there are terribly expensive)

3. tool/fix it kit: screwdrivers (both kinds, especially a small one for battery toys), duct tape, double-sided tape, and something like pliers (could also buy a tool kit from IKEA)

4. baking aids: baking soda, baking powder, and recipes for things without brown sugar (the zucchini bread recipe worked well there, also some brownies and other treats to make for FHE refreshments with the students).

5. childproofing and puddle pads or mattress covers. Just not worth the risk on rental mattresses.

6. diapers -- if anyone is still using them, I take a case or so from Costco which helps keep the suitcases light on the way over, and is my insurance that we'll have room for souvenirs on the way back.

7. first aid: OTC medicines like Motrin and Benadryl and the most useful Triaminic. Adult medicines too! Prescriptions like our cough medicine and vitamins. Liquid band-aids and blister treatments/foot care.

8. travel items: hand sanitizing wipes, travel bibs, disposable sippy cups, even a few boxes of granola bars and fruit roll-ups get used. Also travel Tide and the Tide stain sticks for use with wash on the road.

Comments

Zina said…
What a great list! I'll have to refer back to it if I ever find energy for traveling again, or if we ever do a sabbatical.

We took the last few items on the list for our trip to Europe a couple years ago, and I can vouch for all of them. Plastic sheets are just a few dollars to buy here, and can be a lifesaver when traveling.
Zina said…
Make that "when traveling with kids." :)
M-L said…
Where do you pack your clothes? It is an impressive list. I have never had to think about such a list merely because Mom has it all when we get to her house in France. Stockholm is another new territory though even if we are not going to be there for 6 months.
Mary Ann said…
I have an excellent packer in Rob. He can do miracles with suitcases. But I do pack a lot of clothes -- I think I had 3-4 coats apiece for kids in Berlin (rain slickers, dress coats, down parkas and one other jacket). To be honest, though, we also go to IKEA to get things like loaf pans or dish towels, and then we unloaded the extra stuff on the missionaries coming home.
Lois said…
What a fun list! I'll have to remember it if I ever go anywhere (yeah, like I go anywhere). Good advice!

Popular posts from this blog

Mohr im Hemd

The Trip Home: A Report Card

Blue and Gold Cake Contest